How to Measure for Curtains Sew4Home
In college, I once push pinned a sheet over my apartment's bedroom window and held it open when needed with a binder clip from my economics notebook. At the time, I ...
Bedroom Curtains – The bedroom is a private space that provides comfortable relaxation. The interior decoration and directly affects the overall feel of the room, so that should be given special attention. The bedroom curtains are a functional and decorative accessory for the bedroom. A right shade makes the room look bigger and impressive.
To make the bedroom curtains look good when they are hung, it is vital to have the correct measurements. If you do not own a curtain rod already installed, these measures will also help you find the right place to install brackets curtains. It helps to have a friend to help hold the tape, especially if the windows are wide. Thus, the tape will be strong in order to obtain the exact size you need.
If you are ready to change the bedroom curtains of the window, there are some tips you need to know to ensure that replacements fit properly. When measuring your windows, it is necessary to take into account the height and width. Although these instructions will give you a general rule for measuring, you can customize the steps to get the look you want.
- Decide what you want for your window curtains. If you have a window sill, you better hang curtains over the sill. If you have a radiator under the window, the curtains should complain just above the radiator as it is sure to have curtains over radiators. For windows, bay windows or windows without sills, generally work best bedroom curtains that reach the floor.
- Measure the width of the window. Remember to add enough space for the curtain rod brackets. It’s a good idea to have curtains that extend at least one inch (2.5 cm) over each side of the window to hide the unwanted light. Hold firmly the tape measure and stretch it to the correct point on the other side. Write this measure and record as “W”. If you are measuring over a window and they are different sizes, be sure to write down on the sheet which window you are measuring.
- Measure the length of the window. Start measuring from an inch (2.5 cm) above the window to allow sufficient space for the head rail. Hang the tape to the point where you want the curtains to finish. Most curtains possess sold over 60 or 84 inches (1.5 to 2.1 m), but you can make them hemmed to fit any size or you can order custom-made curtains. Write this measurement on your sheet.
- Multiply the width by two. To hang the bedroom curtains properly, you must have enough fabric. It is recommended double the width of the window. For example, if the window is 24 inches (61 cm) wide, you really need 48 inches (1.22 m) wide for curtains.
- Calculate how many panels you need for curtains. Once you have the measurements, you decide how many panels you need. For most standard size windows that measure 24 to 30 inches (61-76 cm) wide, two panels are sufficient. For large windows, usually four panels, or maybe you need to ask for special need bedroom curtains that are made to measure.